Sunday, March 14, 2010

Attention Wannabe Screenwriters...It's Script Frenzy Time!

Ever said, "You know, I have a really great idea for a screenplay" but never got around to actually writing it? Then April is the month for you. The same people who bring you the annual NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) "competition" want you to write 100 pages of original script from midnight 1April to midnight 30April.

I'm more of a novel guy myself, so I've never done Script Frenzy, but I have done NaNoWriMo (50,000 words in 30 days), and it's a great way to jumpstart a novel. I can't imagine this to be any different. Your only competition is a deadline and yourself. So check it out at Script Frenzy and get ready.

Now, let's say you decide to give it a go. My first bit of advice to a neophyte screenwriter is this: do not try to write a screenplay in Word or similar word processor. I have written a screenplay in the past (made the top 10% of the Austin Film Festival, thank you very much) and the formatting is very specific. Professionals may be able to do it efficiently in Word, I don't know, but you or I can't.

If you have more money than you know what to do with, you could spend a ton of money on software. Or you could just use Celtx which is great and absolutely free.

So good luck. If you think you want to take a crack at Script Frenzy, drop me a line. I'd love to hear how it's going.

dan

No comments: